Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

I didn't get around to writing an update letter/Merry Christmas letter this year so I decided I'd blog about this past year instead :)

The way the year started and finished were far from expected.  I can't say that 2011 was a completely bad year, but it wasn't quite the best either.  I would say the best of this year came in February and March... the end of a very long journey.  On February 11 I sat for my LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) Boards and passed!  It was such a huge relief, I had so many random little glitches during my test time that I was about to throw in the towel before ever finishing.  After passing I soon found a supervisor for the 3000 hours I have to obtain as an intern in the state of Texas and sent off all my paperwork to the State Licensing Board to obtain my official license as an LPC-Intern (which found it's way to me via snail mail in March).  This is a journey that dates all the way back to 2005 and I couldn't be more thrilled to finally be practicing.  Of course it has been a slow... very slow start.  I've been working a combination of counseling jobs in addition to maintaining at least 30 hours/week at the Pediatric office I've been employed at since September 2009.  My main counseling duties find me part time in Carrollton at my supervisor's private practice.  I have 6 patients at this time and am learning quite a bit from all of them.  In addition I serve alongside some incredible people within the non-profit organization at Camp COPE, a military camp for families of those serving in our military.  I have the privilege of working with the kids of soldiers and let me say it is a wonderful way to give back to those who give so much to keep us here in the states safe and free.  I have also been working from time to time at Sundance Behavioral Health Center in Ft. Worth, the same location where I obtained my hours as a grad student.  It has all been a wonderful experience and I'm hoping that 2012 will find me in more of a full-time role as a counselor, or at the very least in a career field where I'm doing what I love... helping others :)

This summer found me back in Colorado for a week spending time visiting my sister, her hubby, and their 3 beautiful children.  I also had the opportunity to explore a few other towns, Buena Vista, Leadville, Aspen and Salida.  It was a great trip and I even had the chance for a small snowball fight upon Independence Pass.  It was wonderful to see my sister as always, but sad to have to say good-bye as well.  The end of the summer came with the unexpected loss of someone close to my heart and a treasure that will forever leave a lasting impact on my life.  While moving through the grief of that I found myself stepping into the joy of counseling and working with others who are struggling to find their way through life.  I'm finding this is not at all what I was expecting, but at the same time so much more.

September brought the opportunity to serve with Camp COPE again and I found myself for the very first time stepping onto a military base, Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.  What a humbling experience, I truly had no idea (and still cannot fathom the true impact) the magnitude of the sacrifice of our men and women serving our country and I could not be more grateful.  It was wonderful to have that weekend on base and continue to hear stories of the families who sometimes unwillingly let go of their loved ones to serve the rest of us.

The fall found me packing up my life once again (9th time in 6 years) and moving in with two wonderful ladies from my church, Watermark Community Church.  I was so nervous, I did not know either of them before moving into the house and I couldn't be more at peace.  It is a joy to spend this season of transition with the two of them and share life with them.  My sense is that this is another transitional situation for me and though I don't know when, I have a feeling that whatever move is next it will be a BIG one.

November 21st was a huge milestone as I celebrated my 30th birthday.  I've been waiting for this day since I was 26.  Although I have no idea what my 30s hold, I do know that reflecting back on my 20s has brought great revelation and the hope that the mistakes I made in that decade won't be repeated in this one.  And December 4th found me celebrating entering my 30s with accomplishing a huge challenge... my first half-marathon, Dallas White Rock Half-Marathon.  It was very wet and very cold that day, but I finished with my best running time... 2 hours, 1 minute, and 21 seconds.  That's an average of about 9 minutes/mile!

I look forward to the year ahead (as I have in years past).  I already have plans for lots of traveling and lots more running.  I have plans to travel to Colorado in January and hopefully again in September for the Denver Rock and Roll Marathon (this time I'm going for the full).  May will find me across the ocean in Germany for a week as I share in the much anticipated wedding of a very dear friend, one I consider to be much like another sister.  I hope to attend as many Camp COPE weekends as possible and hopefully a weekend escape to the Texas Hill Country with my most beautiful and precious best friend.

2011 brought a lot of revelation, most of which came in the final few months.  It brought joy and heartache and the most unexpected life changes.  I struggle to be grateful for what became of this year, but I remember that God has not left me, nor has he forgotten me.  I thank Him that His grace and mercy is so big and so overwhelming that me being angry doesn't deter His love for me at all.  I wish the very best for you in the upcoming year dear readers.  And whatever comes of this year, I pray you find the best and trust in the one who loves you the most.

Happy New Year and Many Blessings,
Cristyn

"Forget about what's happened; don't keep going over old history.  Be alert, be present.  I'm about to do something brand-new.  It's bursting out!  Don't you see it?  There it is!  I'm making a road through the desert, rivers in the badlands." ~ Isaiah 43:18,19 (The Message)

No comments: