Monday, August 16, 2010

Sundance, Rotation Three

Wow! Third rotation and completely amazed at how much I've learned in only 10 weeks! This is such an awesome experience and such confirmation that I'm on the path that God set out for me so many years ago.

I started last week working with the Elementary Two age group (kids ages 9-12). We have about 16 kids in the group right now, 2 of which are only 8, but they're in our group because Elementary One is busting at the seams with 20 kiddoes. This is dramatically different from Elementary One, not so much redirecting for one thing. However, I'm finding that I might not be cut out for working with kids between the ages of 5-10, at least not in a group setting. These are good kids and they are shockingly honest with us therapists and I love that about them. I love that they feel safe with us (regardless of what has happened to them) and that we are entrusted to help them and their families function at a much better level than they had been.

I think one of the most consistent things I've learned about (at least working with the younger kids) is how CPS works in Texas and how different foster families and adoptive parents can be. I had a family therapy session with one of our newer patients today and his adoptive parents are AMAZING!!! They love this kid, they are on the same page as parents, and it was strictly by chance they adopted this kid (and his brother and sister)... I however believe it was purely a God thing... He knew what these kids needed. They are sticking with this kid through the good, the bad, and the ugly. He has a loving home and it truly spoke to my heart the sacrifice that adoptive parents make and it is stirring so much more in my heart.

Alas, I ramble now and if you know me well you know I could go on... and on... and on....

2 more weeks with this group and then I move on to start working with the pre-adolescents... I'm really excited about that group (unnecessary drama and all!). Oh and on another note, I finished my Practicum I class tonight... one more class to go in the fall (Practicum II) and you'll be lookin' at a graduate with her Masters degree in Professional Counseling. So excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel get brighter!!

No comments: