Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Cardboard Says What?!?

"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony"
~ Revelation 12:11

Months ago I attended a church service where at the end multitudes (okay, so it was like 20-30, but still...that's a lot) of people came out one at a time holding a piece of cardboard...large enough to read from the crowd. Each person had their own and one by one as they stepped out they showed one side that shared a past struggle or sin in their life, but on the other side was their personal miracle. On the other side was what God had done with that struggle or sin, what He had done to heal them. If you had asked me over 7 years ago what my cardboard sign said, this is what you would have read...

"I struggle with anorexia, low self-esteem, and poor self image."

...of course that was then, and now it says this...

"He redeemed me by the blood of the Lamb and renewed my self worth...I AM healed!"

So what got me to writing tonight? Well, lately I've been in repeat mode with worship music...the same songs one right after the other all 30-45 minutes of my drive time between work and home and then some as I study or just relax for the night. One of which is Desperation Band's "Overcome" (I strongly recommend giving it a listen...so awesome!). Towards the end of the song you hear different people exclaim their struggles and sins and how God helped them overcome. I'm in a state of learning to overcome, of allowing God in to help me overcome. As I hear these people explain their struggles and sins and the declaration that God helped them overcome, I remember that scene at church months ago...the scene where I couldn't even try to hide my tears if I wanted to.

So here I am now...standing with another cardboard sign and as well as I'd like to think I can hide behind it...people start to notice. If nothing else God knows and that's enough for me to know it is way past time to let Him in to help me overcome. What does it say today, well...

"My heart is broken, confused, and lost...where are you?"

...but it will say this soon, I know it...I trust that it will...

"God helped me overcome!"

What does yours say, do you have one right now...do you even know?

~ C

No comments: