Sunday, March 21, 2010

In Every Season...

It's March 21st, apparently the first day of spring and this is what I awakened to...

Okay, so it wasn't this image exactly (this image is actually from our snowfall in mid-February), but it was relatively close (about 10-12 inches less today). It just got me to thinking that things just aren't the way we imagine or expect them to be sometimes. If anything that is the biggest thing I've learned over the last couple of years in my season of transition/preparation. It's really a beautiful concept... to wait for the unexpected and to find it be so completely different than what you imagined. For some, this snowfall on the first day of spring was a bit depressing, a shock to the system (especially for Dallasites). For me, well... I'm born and bred Dallas. Been here all 28 years of my life thus far and well, I have to admit... I loved today. It was a much welcomed surprise. I had my doubts, thinking that March 21st was a little late for God to send us a little bit of snow. But then I realize that He has a plan and He's in every season.

I've been driving around the last couple of days with Nichole Nordeman's song "Every Season" on repeat. I love it, it speaks volumes to all that God does in us in every season of life and how it compares to the four seasons we experience each year (at least in some areas of the world). Here are the verses that amaze me more and more everytime I hear it...

"And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter...

And everything that's new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season's change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring."
~ Nichole Nordeman, This Mystery

We change, God changes us, over time and in and out of seasons. Going through a bad one or a tough one? He knows what's underneath it all... He knows the perfect time for new life to breathe again. His hand is upon us in every season and for that I could not be more grateful. I'm learning to love the unexpected and to not try to figure it all out. It may not always turn out "great" but it serves a purpose and in the end is all for His glory!

No comments: