Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Promise


The Promise to redeem us, one to free us
Break this silence in the violence of our lives
~ Michael W. Smith, The Promise 2007

I love this time of year! All the lights, laughter, joy, music, food, family, friends, etc. But that's not all of it... for this is the time of year where we celebrate the greatest gift given to the world, that of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Yes there is something sweet and wonderful about the way Christmas music and lights and trees make you feel, but what about the blessing that comes with this celebration? That is what I've been meditating on lately. This blog might be a little premature, but I just couldn't hold it in any longer... I think mostly because I have lost sight of the promise given to me and it hit me full force tonight.

Tonight I spent some time with a dear friend and as we were talking I nonchalantly shared one of my greatest fears with her and it was in that moment that I realized I had given up. Given up on God, given up on me, given up on the truth...

God set before me a vision, a dream, a promise my sophmore year in college and there has been so much hope tied up in that and for whatever reason over the last year I've gotten off track and lost sight of what it is that He is calling me to. Yes I am pursuing my masters and yes I believe God has called me to do that, however that is only part of the dream/promise that He has set before me... the other part is what I've lost touch with. And this finally gets me to why I'm writing... promises. God promised the world to numerous characters in the Bible and as I picked it up to search and study these promises, these are the ones that stood out to me...

To Abram:
"Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward." ~ Gen. 15:1

To Joseph:
"But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son and you are to give him the name Jesus because he will save his people from their sins.' All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet." ~ Matt. 1:20-22

To Mary:
"But the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.'" ~ Luke 1:30-33

Notice how He tells Abram, Joseph, and Mary to not be afraid. How is it that one little four letter word (FEAR) can keep us from fulfilling that which God has promised us or set out before us? For me my promise is not all in my hands (it's a 2 part deal), but the part that is means I've gotta have a little five letter word (FAITH). All the time I ask people to trust me, to have a little faith in me, to give me a chance, but yet I'm always the last person to follow that advice. I'm always the last person to trust myself, to have a little faith in me, and most definitely to give myself any sort of chance. Maybe it's about time to change all that.

Of course I realize this is a little bit easier said than done, so I set before you the first challenge for the coming year... I guess you can call it a Faith challenge (and by all means, keep me accountable too). Search your heart dear friend, see what it is that God has promised you, what you hope for, what you've heard God speak over you and mediate on it for a bit. Mediate to see if you've lost touch with that promise or if you've lost hope in the idea or in God. He won't be mad, I promise... He just wants you to be honest. Take a leap in 2010 and reignite that passion towards that promise that God has set before you (whether just recently or some time ago).

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in what God can do and will do... be sure to keep me posted, I too want to hear how God is making your dreams come true!

xoxo,
C


No comments: