Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Day in the life of an Aunt



I have to say of all the responsibilities that I have in my life, of all the "jobs" I have...being Aunt Cristyn is by far the best one EVER! I can't even fathom how much more my heart will grow one day when I have kids of my own, but I sure am glad that with each time I become an aunt again my heart grows about 10 sizes bigger! There is more than enough joy, love, patience, compassion, and about 50 million other emotions/feelings to go around for all the little ones in my life.

Today has by far been the greatest day in a sea of a million (or maybe closer to a trillion) not so great days lately. I'm starting to wonder if my friends might be right, maybe this is meant to be a season of rest for me, a season in which my eyes will stop looking at myself and what I'm capable of doing on my own, but rather unto God and what He is capable of doing through me once I stop being so stubborn and allow Him to use me! What made today so different than most any other day is I had the joy of spending it with one Avery Elizabeth, my 2-year-old niece whom I love oodles and oodles. The day started off with a knock on the door and one little voice on the other side exclaiming, "Hi Aunt Tissyn, come on in." Oh gee, I sure hope she is not that friendly with the UPS person. We started off our day with donuts and chocolate milk (major bonus points for me starting her day off with lots and lots of sugar). We played around for a bit once she proved to me that yes indeed at 2 she can most certainly dress herself. One of her favorite toys right now is her Mr. Potato Head. The best part about it is when you put his eyes where his mouth goes, his mouth where his ear goes, his arm where a hat should be and a nose where his feet should be...I think you get the point. But better than that is when you try to fit Mr. Potato Head's body parts on you!!! Talk about rolling on the floor laughing, Avery got the biggest kick out of that.

Avery and I continued our day by venturing out to the mall, buying some stuff for Mommy so that she could pamper herself once and a while, and then finishing it off with playtime with her older (and one younger) cousins. My precious Avery is so full of joy, more joy than I think I've ever seen in a 2-year-old. She loves everyone and is so enamored with all that is around her and ever changing. She brings so much light and life and joy to all those around her...she truly sets the example of what I hope to be someday. She is obedient and respectful, lovely and caring...I don't think there is much more you could ask from this sweet little girl.

As I was driving home this evening from my fun-filled day, I was listening to one of my favorite worship CDs and suddenly every word of every song made sense. They all stood out so much larger and more clearly than before. I can't believe that I have only begun to scratch the surface of How Great God Is and all that He has for me in the future. And to finish the evening off, I came home to tell my dad about my day...and his response..."I don't know how you are going to have kids one day when you are so busy being such a great aunt." Oh, I'm sure God will make a way, after all I've already seen how much He has stretched my heart...but what greater way to end the day than to know I'm right where I should be, doing exactly what I'm called to do...LOVE!

No comments: