Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Paralyzing Fear

They say if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to see it, does it still make a sound? So, if one person says you make a difference, do you hear them? How many people does it take? Two? Three? An army? It has recently come to my attention that I live in a place of paralyzing fear of disappointing others. So I can't help but ask myself if I truly can hear what that one person is saying. It is not a matter of ability, I have the ability to hear. It is more of a matter of choice. Just as we choose whether or not that tree actually did indeed make a sound or we choose to believe that it did not, I have the choice to believe or not believe what I hear.

It's a little funny really, words of encouragement are one of my love languages and yet I still choose not to believe sometimes. I will battle relentlessly to try to prove what they say is wrong when every ounce in me needs to hear what that person has to say. Eventually it soaks in, but at what point? Past the point of making a substantial difference? My choice is to believe that one person, even if it is the only person. Because then if one person notices, then at least I'm fulfilling my destiny.

Original Post: February 21, 2007

No comments: